- 1, grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 blood orange, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado, cut into thick slices
- 1/4 of a shallot, sliced into rounds and separated
- 1/2 red chill sliced (really though, use as much or as little as you'd like)
- Brown Sugar and Lime Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- To peel the grapefruit and blood orange, slice off the top end where the stem sits and the bottom end so you are left with two flat surfaces. Then, placing the grapefruit on one of these flat ends to stabilize it, use a sharp knife to cut the skin off in 1 inch segments. The knife should move along the flesh of the grapefruit under the white pith (you want your grapefruit to remain slightly round) and leave you with a half moon shaped piece of peel. Turn the grapefruit and repeat until all the skin is removed. If necessary flip the blood orange onto its other end and remove any excess pieces of pith. Repeat this process with the blood orange.
- Once your citrus is peeled, slice them into 1/4 inch thick rounds. And lay them onto a serving platter.
- Slice your shallots into rounds and then separate the rounds and spread them around on top of the citrus. Toss on the slices of chill and avocado.
- Easy as can be, toss everything into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Give it a good shake to combine everything. The mustard works to help emulsify everything and will leave you with a nice thick vinaigrette. Spoon it over the salad then garnish with cilantro. Screw the lid back on a reserve in the fridge for up to two weeks.